Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chomping at Bubbles

Snow has blanketed our neighborhood for two days now.  Two days snowed in...no school...no work.  There has been time spent building snow men with freezing hands, staring at the sky while making snow angels, having snowball (ice ball) fights, and sipping creamy hot chocolate by a roaring fire.  There has also been a sense of cabin fever.  We don't have a big house--I think the word cozy describes it well.  The truth is we live in absolutely every inch of our house and it just seems that we all always end up hanging out in the same room.  Family togetherness is fantastic but I will admit with all four of us crammed into one room with two 70+ pound dogs demanding attention it can be a tad overwhelming.

Well, it seems that this has really been getting to Eric.  He loves to play with the boys outside, garden, or do anything that has to do with chasing a ball.  I think all this time inside has really begun to take a toll.  We've had a really hard time getting in stride with each other the last couple days.  If you have been in a relationship for any length of time you know what I mean.  Everything seems to be said in a grumble and everything the kids seem to do is followed by a quick snap of caution.  It's very easy to be drawn into the downward spiral of frustration and grumpiness especially when even three rooms away you can hear what each other are thinking.  I was falling into this trap of negativity when I was saved by the power of bubbles!
Here we are...all crammed in one room...watching Eric do something.















Eric's claustrophobia was evident this morning when he almost became unhinged when both boys wanted to "help" him start the fire.  I smiled to myself knowing this feeling all to well both at home and at work.  I sort of revel in the feeling of everyone being interested in what I'm doing yet I know that it can become quite trying when you are focused on completing a task.

The boys and I gave him his space and started playing with some blocks.  Eric was trying to pull himself out of his funk by sneaking around the corner to begin a full-on Nerf-gun war when all of the sudden I herd a groan of frustration.  Apparently Jace (almost 2) had decided to stuff a few darts in the gun causing it to not work at all.  I, being the problem solver I am, spent the next hour attempting major surgury on the weapon, unscrewing all 15 screws and putting in back together only to completely render in useless promptly after unclogging it.  Aside from being completely in awe of the intricacy of a Nerf gun I was completely and utterly frustrated.

The boys had moved on to blowing bubbles in the living room, Eric was hiding under a blanket on the couch and I tried to sneak my defeated, dejected self to the bathroom to take a really, really, really long shower (this is about the only place you get peace and quiet with two young children).  I almost made it, I was in our bedroom at the threshold of the bathroom when I heard Connor, he's five, ask, "Teresa, will you please blow bubbles for us?"
"Not right now honey, I'm going to take a shower."  Surprised by a sudden commotion at my feet, I looked down to see Jace wearing only a Winnie the Pooh t-shirt and diaper on all fours trying to eat a bubble that had landed on the carpet but not yet popped.
"What is Jace doing?" I half asked and half laughed.
"Jace and I are trying to eat the bubbles!"  Connor promptly blew a half a dozen bubbles from the wand and the two commenced to making ridiculous chomping sounds as they ran wildly chasing the bubbles open-mouthed, tripping over each other.  Their giggles were absolutely contagious!

I caught their infectious laughter and tears began to gather in my eyes.  I grabbed the bubbles out of Connor's hand and ran around the room jumping up and down on the bed blowing as many bubbles as possible.  I made it my mission to fill the room with bubbles so the two could continue their game.  As the giggles continued I felt all of my frustration and self-pity melt away.  So, as I type this memory while the snow slowly melts into a slushy mess outside my window, I am reminded of time's promise to move forward and my constant choice to make this time beautiful.  I am eternally grateful for my two amazing boys whose very beings remind me to let my spirit dance and chomp at bubbles! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Teresa. You made me smile. We also have a bit of cabin fever. Ours manifests itself in quiet. Even when we are outside walking and taking in the snow. Just quiet.

    Having little ones around keeps us mindful of the simple things, the building blocks of learning. Bubbles. Stones. Water. Sticks. And how wonderful and amazing life can be through the eyes of a little one. That is also an advantage of what we do for a living.

    It is cool that you have been posting a lot lately. I look forward to them. How about yet another day off? This spring is going to seem really long with no built in three-day-weekends left. Have another great day tomorrow.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete